Stamford DUI Lawyer
In Stamford, to get a DUI, a person has to be operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, a drug, or both.
Typically, how that works is if the person gets pulled over while they are driving a vehicle and they have a blood alcohol content of 0.08 or more. The person will then be charged with a DUI.
If you have been charged with a DUI and are seeking legal representation, it is important to consult with an experienced Stamford criminal lawyer as soon as possible. A knowledgeable DUI attorney in Stamford can gather the evidence associated with your case and build a defense to help lessen or dismiss any penalties associated with your charge.Severity of the Charge
Stamford takes DUI charges very seriously. The police and the prosecutors take protecting the public seriously, and if an individual is charged with a DUI in Stamford, then it will be enforced against that person.
This is not the type of charge where a person gets a slap on the wrist and can walk away. Prosecutors arrest individuals for this sort of charge because they want to protect people from others who choose to drive while intoxicated. If an individual is currently being charged with a DUI, they should not hesitate before contacting a Stamford DUI lawyer.
In Stamford, law enforcement chooses to focus on DUIs because it is a crime that anybody can commit. A person does not need to have a past criminal history to get a DUI. It can come from just one mistake.
Such a charge can occur if an individual has had too many drinks and decides to get behind the wheel of the car when they should not. It applies to most of the population and is something that is preventable.Intimidation of a DUI
The penalties of a Stamford DUI charge make them incredibly intimidating. The first time a person gets a DUI, they are charged with a misdemeanor, which can carry up to six months in jail, two of which are a mandatory minimum, and a fine of between $500 to $1,000.
If a person pleads guilty, they will have a permanent criminal record. There is also the social stigma that comes along with this, where the person is branded as someone who has a DUI. They may also lose their driving privileges, and it can be much harder for them to find a job. The penalties get more serious as the individual continues to get DUIs.
To prevent against such penalties, an individual should consult with a DUI lawyer in Stamford as soon as possible.Processing the Charge
Stamford DUI cases follow the same pattern as other DUIs in Connecticut. They test the person with the same field sobriety test, and use the same breathalyzer. This is standard practice across the board for DUIs.
In the beginning, a prosecutor will first get assigned to the case. Then, depending on which offense a person gets, there are usually standard offers that are presented.Benefit of Legal Representation
When beginning a case, the first thing a Stamford DUI lawyer can do is preserve evidence. They can investigate the crime while everything is fresh, talk to witnesses, and subpoena records to make sure they can defend the person’s rights in court.
Further, they can challenge the accuracy of the evidence in court and negotiate with the prosecutor. The Stamford DUI attorney can try to stop the individual’s license from being surrendered, and can walk them through this process. They can make sure the person knows where they can get an ignition interlock device or what consequences they may be facing.
It is important to obtain a lawyer who has experience with handling such cases locally. An experienced Stamford DUI lawyer knows the police station, the prosecutors, and the judges.
That does not mean they get special treatment, but a DUI lawyer in Stamford knows how the procedures go, who to be talking to, where to go, and what steps the person needs to take to protect their rights.
- Refusing DUI Testing Following a Stamford DUI
- Jail Time Following a Stamford DUI
- Stamford DUI Arrest Records
- Pre-Trial Release and Bond for Stamford DUI Arrests
- Stamford DUI Court Dates
- Stamford First-Offense DUI Charges
- Stamford DUI Trial Process
- Stamford Second Offense DUI Charges
- Stamford Third Offense DUI Charges
- Stamford DUI Without a License Charge
- Stamford Felony DUI Lawyer
- Stamford Field Sobriety Tests
- Your Car After a Stamford DUI
- Discovery Process in Stamford DUI Cases
- Motion Hearings in Stamford DUI Cases
- Stamford DUI Defense Strategies
- Stamford DUI Stops and Arrests
- Receiving Medical Attention Following a Stamford DUI
- Stamford Underage DUI Lawyer
- Stamford Underage DUI Penalties
- Life After a DUI Arrest in Stamford
- Substance Abuse Evaluations in Stamford
- Stamford DUI Charges and Minors
- Stamford Ignition Interlock Devices
- Impact of a DUI Conviction in Stamford
- Alcohol Treatment After a Stamford DUI
- 10 Days Following a Stamford DUI Arrest
- Aggravating Factors for a Third Offense DUI in Stamford
- Breathalyzer Testing at Stamford DUI Stops
- Drug and Alcohol Interactions in Stamford DUIs
- Stamford Student DUI Charges
- Stamford Repeat Offender DUI Lawyer
- Stamford DUI Conditions of Release
- Stamford DUI Alternative Incarceration Centers
- Stamford DUI Alcohol Education Programs
- Accidents Affecting Stamford DUI Cases
- Stamford DMV Per Se Hearing